Senior Commercial Manager
An opportunity to build an in-house team of cost managers to specialise in delivering good quality new homes on tricky sites. Working closely with all Brick By Brick functions and our external consultants, this is a new, Croydon-based opportunity.
You will be working as a Senior Commercial Manager and will be responsible for leading the cost management, including cost consultancy and quantity surveying, of all Brick By Brick projects from inception through to handover and management. You will ensure that best value is achieved on all projects in line with the ambitions of the business plan. You will work collaboratively with all parts of the business to ensure that effective cost management is a core consideration in all projects, and is reflected accurately in all development appraisals and procurement strategies.
As a Senior Commercial Manager, you will lead a team of cost consultants and quantity surveyors who will provide integrated and responsive cost management over all projects as they are developed and implemented. This will include cost advice through the design and construction processes, and interaction with the supply chain to ensure best value is achieved. You will be able to establish and implement robust systems and processes to best manage this process. You will be experienced at procuring and performance managing external consultants where activities are outsourced to get the best value and outcome.
You will fully understand the ethos and philosophy of Brick By Brick and operate within the company’s governance, financial and legal frameworks at all times. You will be able to build the case for investment in specific schemes by demonstrating and/or assessing the deliverability, quality and viability of various proposals to ensure commercially efficient, sustainable developments.
You will be responsible for promoting, monitoring and reporting on all aspects of your programme. You will take the lead in undertaking work in the most efficient way possible to ensure that returns to our shareholder, and therefore to Croydon residents, are optimised. This will involve working in a genuinely collaborative way with the entire wider Brick By Brick team.
You will help foster a team atmosphere of knowledge sharing, collaboration and development and contribute your knowledge and opinions to team discussions. You will ultimately be a brand ambassador for Brick By Brick and act as an advocate for the company.
Specific minimum qualifications and expertise
- A degree in Quantity Surveying or related discipline, and professional accreditation (eg RICS) as a cost consultant/QS
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience in a cost management related role
- Demonstrable ability to interface with Development Managers, Designers and Contractors
- Experience of creating and implementing systems and processes to manage significant volumes of complex information relating to development projects
- Detailed knowledge of issues affecting design and delivery of development projects in urban area, including procurement processes and contract routes
- Demonstrable experience in cost management and quantity surveying of multi unit residential development through all RIBA Stages
- Experience of providing procurement advice, tender documentation and post contract services
- Up-to-date understanding of construction technologies
- An awareness of the issues affecting work delivered in a political environment
- Competent use of appropriate technologies
- Excellent team working skills and effective individual management skills
- Expertise in line managing other members of staff and their development
- Demonstrable ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines managing conflicting priorities
- Ability to communicate complex ideas, concepts, issues and financial information clearly and simply, both verbally and in writing
- Experience of, and a commitment to, working within Equal Opportunities objectives
Terms & conditions
Job title: Senior Commercial Manager
Reports to: Head of Design and Commercial, Senior Management Team.
Responsibility for: Internal Commercial Team and various external consultants
Location: Croydon, CR0
Salary: Grade 3 SCP 15 £60K pa plus profit share scheme of up to 20% of salary
Contract and hours: Full time (36) permanent, including some weekend and evening work
Annual leave: 31 days
Pension: Up to 6% contributory pension
Closing date: 18th November 2019